I workout to not turn into a soccer mom
workout bonus: being able to wear latest fashion trends like faux leather high waist pencil skirt (the limited) ombre denim shirt (target) and suede ankel strap wedges (zigi soho)
I know this is going to sound crazy but one of my biggest underlying workout motivations is to not turn into an out of shape soccer mom with low self esteem. According to my soon to be teenage son I've pretty much accomplished this. His exact words a few weeks ago on route to school were "well nobody can accuse you of ever looking or acting like a soccer mom and I mean that in a good way". Kids say the funniest things don't they. My reply was "thank you son that is the best compliment you've ever given me" : )
I think the soccer-mom phobia started when my sister forced me to watch a few episodes of Oprah at her place back when she used to babysit my son while I was training clients at night. She would TIVO all these makeover episodes and we would watch in horror as women in their 30's and 40's who had completely let themselves go would breakdown in tears and talk about how gross and ugly and unsexy they felt. They all drove mini-vans, had several kids, and ALL of them wore fuglyass sweats or those hideous mom jeans. It was an ugly sight but not as bad as their low self-esteem. I vowed not to end up like this EVER!
Working out on a daily basis takes care of this in so many ways:
1. Better self esteem because I'm taking care of my health and my own needs as well as my family's needs
2. Lean body that I don't want to hide in ugly sweats and that looks good in what I consider cool clothes (maybe you don't like my style but at least I'm not wearing pajamas to the grocery store)
3. Fit enough to hike, aerial dance, and burlesque dance which means my entire life does not revolve around my kid
4. Strong body and even stronger will power that helps me say no to all that garbage that moms who let themselves go eat all day
5. Feel good endorphins constantly flowing through my body that show our kids that happiness comes from within not from external things
This is only 1 of hundreds of things that motivates me to stay fit. More fun stories about my clients underlying motivations coming soon. What are your underlying fitness motivations: the REAL reasons for wanting to burn fat, lose weight, get healthy? Please share below.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Underlying Workout Motivation.